Grab Your Popcorn

Students share their most anticipated movies hitting the box office this year.

Eliana Washington, Editor-in-Chief

Fantastic Beasts 3, Apr. 3

Adventure, Fantasy

In this extension of the Fantastic Beasts franchise, Professor Albus Dumbledore knows the dark wizard, Gellert Grindelwald, is moving to seize control of the wizarding world. Dumbledore entrusts magizoologist Newt Scamander to lead a team of wizards and witches to fight against Grindelwald’s growing legion of followers.

“I’m hoping they capitalize on what they started in the last movie, even though the last one sucked. I’m ready to see if they make this next movie better.” Jovany Covarubias, 11

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, May 6

Adventure, Fantasy

A sequel to Spider-Man: No Way Home, Doctor Strange casts a spell that opens a portal into the multiverse where he meets an alternate version of himself. Strange must team up with Wong and Wanda Maximoff to in order to save humanity,

“I want to watch Doctor Strange and The Multiverse. Only because we get more into the multiverse to see how MCU expanded.” –Tyler “Lemon” Lemons, 12

Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse (Part One), Oct. 7

Adventure, Science Fiction, Superhero

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse follows the return of Miles Morales and his new relationship with Gwen Stacy, also known as Spider-woman.

“I’m hyped for Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse because Into The Spider-Verse is already my favorite movie. It’s only part one so they have more of the story to tell.” –Matt Passe, 11

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Nov. 11

Adventure, Fantasy, Superhero

Although the plot has yet to be revealed, Black Panther II will be released with the idea of honoring the late Chadwick Boseman, who played Black Panther, in mind.

“The last Black Panther set expectations very high and I am excited to see how they make this second one. Will they replace Chadwick Boseman? Will they find another main character?” –Corrie Stenline Jr., 12

Avatar 2, Dec. 16

Adventure, Fantasy, Science Fiction

Jake Sully and Neytiri have formed a family when an old threat returns, forcing them to leave their home and explore Pandora. 

“I watched the first Avatar movie years ago and I’m excited for the next one. It will be nostalgic watching the sequel. –Alexandria Lewis, 11

Other exciting projects to watch out for: 

• Lightyear, Theatres,  June 17
  • Hocus Pocus 2, Disney +, Autumn 2022 
  • Knives Out 2, undated
  • Enola Holmes 2, Netflix, undated
  • NOPE, Theatres, July 22